When we think of networking, we don't typically think of numbers ...
... but when it comes to networking and relationship building, 7 is the magic number!
The rule of 7 is one of the oldest concepts in marketing and basically says that the potential buyer needs to hear or see a brand's marketing message at least 7 times before they are ready to buy.
The same concept applies to networking ...
When you meet someone, they need to have 7 interactions with you before you actually register on their radar as someone they "know." You might meet someone and have incredible chemistry just from one event ... but that still doesn't mean your new friend is ready to buy from you.
Nowadays, it's very easy to achieve 7 interactions ... here are some examples:
1) You meet at the event
2) You follow up with an email
3) You connect on LinkedIn
4) You interact with a LinkedIn post that your new contact posted
5) You send your new contact an email with relevant information to their industry (or something you think he/she would find interesting)
6) If you're an active networker, maybe you see them at another event
7) You have a phone conversation or event meet up for coffee
In a nutshell, if you're trying to get on someone's radar, make it a point to have 7 interactions with them as a way to start building a solid relationship!